Thursday, January 5, 2012

"Getting older ain't for sissies, I'll tell ya." Iris Apfel


Now this is a woman that more of us should look up to. She has style, she has grace, she has elegance, she has class and most of all she has sense. I came across an interview today showcasing the lovely Iris Apfel and I think I was smiling the entire time that I was reading it. I also got very excited because she has come out with her own line of lipstick, eye shadows and nail polish with MAC. Seriously? How can you not be excited. I think that I am most looking forward to the line of Lipstick. She has created a line that is bold, bright colours that are a matte finish. I personally love a matte finish. I never used to wear a lot of make up. Wether it was eye shadow or lip stick I always shied away from it because I was not used to seeing myself in it. I also did not want to draw attention to myself (I know weird right?). But I had dabbled more into make up as I got older and I still do not wear a whole lot, my eye shadow if worn is usually nude tones and for my lips is always just plain old lip gloss or chap or my fav bright pink lipstick. Regardless I am beyond excited to see the colours that Iris has come up with. 

Now in getting back to my reasoning behind Iris Apfel being someone to look up to as a wonderful role model. She has so many great values and outlooks on life. This article really emphasizes how much she embraces what she was born with. ‘Nothing makes a woman look so old as trying desperately hard to look young’. I think you can be attractive at any age. I think trying to look like a spring chicken when you’re not makes you look ridiculous.' I love it. She is so witty and full of self confidence which I think makes anyone that much more beautiful at any age! I think if women put some more of the time and money they put on their heads in their heads, they’d be better off. I mean, nobody’s going to think you’re thirty-two, so what’s the point?' One of my favourite portions of the article by far. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against plastic surgery. If it is something that will make you feel better about yourself or give you the confidence you need to feel good then to each there own. I only ever truly disagree with choosing plastic surgery is when you are doing it for wrong reasons. Reasons such as making someone else happy or trying to fit that 'Hollywood Beaty'. What I love most about the topics Iris discussed in this article is that she truly means what she says. She has her own opinion and point of view and doesn't stray from what she truly feels and believes. 

At the beautiful age of 90 Iris has not slowed down one ounce. From creating a makeup line with MAC, designing glasses for Eye Bobs to doing a program with the Fashion School at the University of Texas. This is one woman that will let nothing slow her down. 

Photograph by ITG. Quotes from ITG

No comments:

Post a Comment

” data-num-posts=”10″ data-width=”550″>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...